The HVHS became incorporated in February 1891 as the Rockland County Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. The organization began through the efforts of local women who empathized with the plight of farm and companion animals. These women took into their barns and homes, injured and abandoned animals where they provided love, care and shelter. These ladies were trailblazers in their time, but in the late 1800ΓÇÖs women were not permitted to own property nor establish a business, but that did not stop them. They were smart and resourceful and approached their husbands to incorporate what is today known as the Hudson Valley Humane Society. Born out of their efforts, and now more than 122 years and literally thousands of animals later, we continue.
The HVHS pursues its mission of promoting its core: the cause of animal welfare. In addition to sheltering abandoned and unwanted animals, HVHS actively seeks adoptive homes for these animals.